RULE 276(1)(B) OF THE RULES OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY: NOTICE OF INTRODUCTION OF NATIONAL: VELD AND FOREST FIRE AMENDMENT BILL IN NATIONAL ASSEMBLY AND PUBLICATION OF EXPLANATORY SUMMARY
Notice Title: Rule 276(1)(b) of the Rules of the National Assembly: Notice of introduction of National: Veld and Forest Fire Amendment Bill in National Assembly and publication of Explanatory Summary
Government Notice: GN 1489 in GG 45449 on 9 November 2021
Commencing date: TBC
The Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (“the Minister”) published a notice in terms of Rule 276(1)(b) of the Rules of the National Assembly of her intention to introduce the National: Veld and Forest Fire Amendment Bill (“the Bill”) in the National Assembly.
In addition to the above, the explanatory summary of the Bill was published in accordance with Rule 276(1)(c) of the Rules of the National Assembly.
The main object of the Bill is to affect amendments to the National Veld and Forest Fire Act 101 of 1998 (“NVFFA”) in order to:
- Improve the administration of the NVFFA;
- Deal with a number of important technical enhancements;
- Align the legislation with the post 1996 Constitutional framework; and
- Ensure that the NVFFA remains responsive and relevant in the field of combatting and preventing veld and forest fires.
The Bill provides for:
- The facilitation of the formation of fire protection associations by municipalities or a traditional council;
- Mandatory joining of a fire protection association by municipalities, state-owned enterprises, public entities or other organs of state which own land.
- The extension of powers of entry, search, seizure and arrest of peace officers and traditional leaders under certain obligations.
- Appeals against decisions made under delegated authority in terms of the NVFFA; and
- Amendment of the title of the NVFFA to National Veldfire Act.
For assistance or queries please contact Jan Nel at email@example.com.