NATIONAL WASTE MANAGEMENT STRATEGY 2020
Notice Title: National Waste Management Strategy 2020
Government Notice: GN 56 in GG 44116 on 28 January 2021
Commencing date: 28 January 2021
The Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and Environment published the National Waste Management Strategy 2020 (“NWMS 2020”) in the Government Gazette for implementation. For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
The NWMS 2020 is a revision and update of the 2011 strategy. The NWMS 2020 builds on the successes and lessons from the implementation of the 2011 strategy. The NWMS 2020 provides government policy and strategic interventions for the waste sector and is aligned and responsive to the Sustainable Development Goals of Agenda 2030 adopted by all United Nations Member States. The NWMS 2020 is also aligned and responsive to South Africa’s National Development Plan: Vision 2030 which is our country’s specific response to, and integration of the sustainable development goals into our overall socio-economic development plans.
The NWMS 2020 has the concept of the “circular economy” at its center. Significant strategic shifts from the 2011 strategy made in the NWMS 2020 includes:
- Addressing the role of vulnerable groups, waste pickers and the informal sector and supporting women, youth and people living with disabilities in the circular economy;
- Promoting approaches to the design of products and packaging that reduce waste or encourage reuse, repair and preparation for recycling, support markets for source separated recyclables;
- Investigating potential regulatory or economic interventions to increase participation rates in residential separation at source programmes;
- Investing the economies associated with transporting of recyclables to waste processing facilities;
- Addressing the skills gap within the sector with a special focus on women, youth and people living with disabilities; and
- Engagement with the National Treasury regarding the operational expenditures for municipalities associated with implementing the NWMS 2020 and the National Environmental Management: Waste Act 59 of 2008.
For more information or assistance please contact Minnette le Roux at Minnette@shangoni.co.za