NATIONAL RAILWAY SAFETY REGULATOR ACT 16 OF 2002: REGULATIONS ON NOTIFIABLE RAILWAY OCCURRENCES
Notice Title: National Railway Safety Regulator Act 16 of 2002 (“NRSRA”): Regulations on Notifiable Railway Occurrences
Government Notice: GN 1066 in GG 46471 on 3 June 2022
Commencing date: 3 June 2022
The Minister of Transport (“the Minister”) has under section 37 of the NRSRA published Regulations regarding the Category and Type of all Notifiable Railway Occurrences to be reported to the Chief Executive Officer of the Railway Safety Regulator, 2022 (“NROR”).
The purpose of the NROR is to ensure that notifiable railway occurrences are adequately managed within the operator’s safety management system and include –
- The reporting of notifiable railway occurrences to the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”), within the manner required in the NROR;
- Management of all notifiable railway occurrences;
- The provision of all the information required by the CEO as per the NROR; and
- The management of the scene of a notifiable railway occurrence and the preservation of evidence where reasonably practicable.
The NROR outlines the mandatory notifiable railway occurrences to be managed by the operators as well as the railway occurrences that must be reported to the CEO in accordance with the NROR.
The NROR are intended to be read in conjunction with the SANS 3000 series of standards as well as the Railway Safety Regulator standards.
For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
How to ensure compliance at my operations?
The following types of railway operators must put into place systems and procedures for the reporting of notifiable railway occurrences:
- Network operators;
- Train operators;
- Station operators; or
- A combination of network, train and station operators.
Notifiable railway occurrences that happen on, or in relation to the operator’s railway premises or railway operations, must be reported by the operator to the CEO in the form, format and within the specified timeframes as set out in the NROR.
For assistance or queries please contact Gert van der Waal at firstname.lastname@example.org.