DIRECTIONS ISSUED BY THE MINISTER OF HUMAN SETTLEMENTS, WATER AND SANITATION
Notice Title: Water and Sanitation Emergency Procurement COVID-19 Disaster Response Directions, issued in terms of regulation 10(8) of regulations issued in terms of the Disaster Management Act, 2002
Government Gazette Notice: GN 464 in GG 43231 of 15 April 2020
Commencing date: 15 April 2020
The Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation issued in terms of regulation 10(8) of the Regulations issued in terms of section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act, 2002 directions to provide for measures necessary to manage COVID-19. These directions are called the Water and Sanitation Emergency Procurement COVID -19 Disaster Response Directions, 2020.
These directions apply to-
- municipalities as defined in the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act 117 of 1998;
- all water boards and regional offices of the Department of Water and Sanitation;
- any district, metropolitan or local municipality that has been nominated and appointed to be a water services authority;
- water user associations established under the National Water Act 36 of 1998;
- irrigation boards;
- catchment management agencies; and
- any other essential services official required by the National Disaster Water Command Centre to give effect to these directions.
The purpose of these directions is to:
- give command control to the National Disaster Water Command Centre to take appropriate measures to prevent the spread of COVID -19;
- direct the water services authorities, water boards, irrigation boards, catchment management agencies and water user associations to perform certain tasks and to cooperate with the officials comprising the National Disaster Water Command Centre, as well as any other person authorised by the Minister to give effect to these directions;
- provide for the emergency procurement of goods and services required for the provision of water services through the manufacture, supply, delivery and procurement of water tanks, and related goods and services as a response to the coronavirus pandemic in terms of the National State of Disaster, declared by the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, to areas identified by the National Disaster Water Command Centre and the water services authorities;
- establish and regulate the administration of the National Disaster Water Command Centre for the purpose of the centralisation of emergency procurement and provision of water and sanitation equipment;
- capacitate the administration in the National Disaster Water Command Centre to conduct effective, accountable, efficient and transparent emergency procurement of water and sanitation equipment and provision thereof to the affected areas; and
- authorise the National Disaster Water Command Centre to be responsible for the emergency procurement of water and sanitation equipment to procure directly with the manufacturers and suppliers.
Issues included in these directions are:
- Interventions in implementation of Directions;
- Nature of goods and services;
- Emergency procurement;
- Implementation protocol; and
- Distribution of water and sanitation resources.
For more information or a copy of the Government Notice please contact Minnette Le Roux at firstname.lastname@example.org